Turn To An Attorney You Can Trust After An Airline Accident
Thankfully, major commercial airline accidents are rare, especially in the United States. However, when they happen, the results are usually devastating. A knowledgeable airplane accident lawyer is a critically important advocate for the recovery of an individual or family after a major airline crash.
I am trial lawyer William Angelley, and I dedicate my legal career to representing clients throughout the U.S. who have been injured or have lost loved ones in commercial airline crashes. I begin every free initial consultation with a compassionate listening ear. I also share knowledge and insights with injured people and surviving family members of the deceased.
Highlighting Technical And Legal Challenges
Finding the cause of a crash is one of the most complicated endeavors in the world of aviation. Investigations involve hundreds, if not thousands, of man hours and are physically, emotionally and financially demanding. When a crash involves a U.S. commercial carrier or a flight to or from the U.S., representatives from the National Transportation Safety Board will generally take the leading role in the investigation. When I take a case, I stay up to date on all developments as an investigation unfolds.
The legal considerations in commercial airline crash cases can be just as complex as the investigation into the cause of the crash, including the following considerations:
- If any leg of the flight for any passenger involves international travel, then that passenger’s claims will likely be governed by the Montreal Convention or perhaps an earlier version of that treaty.
- If the crash occurred more than 12 miles from U.S. shores, then the Death on the High Seas Act may limit the damages available.
- Even if the crash involves only domestic passengers on a domestic flight, there will still be complex jurisdictional issues to be analyzed.
Events To Watch Out For After A Crash
High-profile aviation accidents often trigger unfortunate issues. Stay alert if any of these things happen in your case:
- Often, the airline will approach family members after a crash to provide information and help.
- Occasionally, the airline will want the family to sign some sort of waiver or another agreement in exchange for a small payment.
- Additionally, some unethical lawyers hire people to contact family members after an accident in hopes of signing the family up as clients.
You deserve to know your rights and make your own decision about contacting an attorney.
What You Need To Know Following An Airline Accident
If you are a family member of a person who has been killed in a major commercial airline crash or small plane crash, there are a couple of things you should note and take to heart.
First, do not sign anything that is given to you by anyone after a crash without first consulting an experienced airplane accident lawyer whom you trust and choose. Any payment offered to you by an airline at an early stage will almost certainly be much less than what you may otherwise be entitled to, and the waiver or release you sign in exchange for that money will probably prevent you from recovering any additional damages.
Second, you should know that it is a violation of federal law for an attorney to contact the family members of a crash victim, whether by meeting in person, writing, emailing or engaging via any other means, before the 45th day following the crash. In other words, you should not receive any sort of solicitation from any attorney within 45 days after the crash. If you do, that attorney has violated the Aviation Disaster Family Assistance Act and there may be adverse consequences for him or her.
You should also know that legitimate disaster relief workers are not supposed to recommend lawyers to assist families. Workers of this type include:
- Members of the Red Cross
- Representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Government investigators, such as members of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) or the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
If a person purporting to be such a worker approaches you with an attorney recommendation, walk away and report them.
I Am Ready For Your Call
At Angelley PC, my staff and I strive to maintain the highest ethical and professional standards. If you need a skilled airplane accident lawyer, please contact my office by phone at 214-254-3075 or by email to learn how I can help you.